Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Day 17: Mend It

Thrift shopping is an adventure. Every trip has a story. Some are thrilling, like the pink cashmere sweater snagged for $2.99. Some are bizarre, like the slightly overweight man in line ahead of you with an armful of women's lingerie...in his size. And others are rather embarrassing. Like this one:

On "dollar shirt day," I was flipping through the t-shirts at my favorite local thrift and got all excited when I saw ol' Bill's face on a next-to-new tee with a pleasant cut in my size. "Yippee!" says the English teacher. "What fun for a buck!" It said something on the front about prose that I thought I'd look up later. Must be some literature thing I wasn't familiar with. So I grabbed it and added it to my loot. When I checked out, the clerk gave me a quizzical look and said, "How about 50-cents?" I looked back at her just as quizzically and answered, "Ok?"

When I got home, I looked up the phrase and understood. Oops! Not appropriate! Of course my husband, a friend who's a public school teacher, and another who's a computer geek knew right away what it said and meant. I was not to be deterred. I was not going to send it back to the thrift, or worse, put the greatest playwright of all time in the trash! So I fixed it! And I think Shakespeare himself would thank me.


Day 17:  Fix it

Shakespeare tee (now rated G)
J. Jill skirt (shortened and embroidery removed)
Keds slip-ons
Headband (handmade by someone or other)
ALL THRIFTED!
Earrings (gift)

Oh, and I'm still working on that "new hair" thing. Thoughts?

2 comments:

Chris said...

Now THAT'S the way to own your fashion statement! ;-) Good for you for cleaning up poor ol' Will. I too am sure he's pleased with your efforts. And you look so cute today! I love the new 'do with the scarf. I tried something similar myself on Monday. Sadly, it didn't turn out nearly as well. Love the skirt and cute flats too. You look wonderful!

SeƱora H-B said...

I LOVE the repair you did on the t-shirt. It's perfecct!