Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Day 17: Mend It

Thrift shopping is an adventure. Every trip has a story. Some are thrilling, like the pink cashmere sweater snagged for $2.99. Some are bizarre, like the slightly overweight man in line ahead of you with an armful of women's his size. And others are rather embarrassing. Like this one:

On "dollar shirt day," I was flipping through the t-shirts at my favorite local thrift and got all excited when I saw ol' Bill's face on a next-to-new tee with a pleasant cut in my size. "Yippee!" says the English teacher. "What fun for a buck!" It said something on the front about prose that I thought I'd look up later. Must be some literature thing I wasn't familiar with. So I grabbed it and added it to my loot. When I checked out, the clerk gave me a quizzical look and said, "How about 50-cents?" I looked back at her just as quizzically and answered, "Ok?"

When I got home, I looked up the phrase and understood. Oops! Not appropriate! Of course my husband, a friend who's a public school teacher, and another who's a computer geek knew right away what it said and meant. I was not to be deterred. I was not going to send it back to the thrift, or worse, put the greatest playwright of all time in the trash! So I fixed it! And I think Shakespeare himself would thank me.

Day 17:  Fix it

Shakespeare tee (now rated G)
J. Jill skirt (shortened and embroidery removed)
Keds slip-ons
Headband (handmade by someone or other)
Earrings (gift)

Oh, and I'm still working on that "new hair" thing. Thoughts?


Chris said...

Now THAT'S the way to own your fashion statement! ;-) Good for you for cleaning up poor ol' Will. I too am sure he's pleased with your efforts. And you look so cute today! I love the new 'do with the scarf. I tried something similar myself on Monday. Sadly, it didn't turn out nearly as well. Love the skirt and cute flats too. You look wonderful!

SeƱora H-B said...

I LOVE the repair you did on the t-shirt. It's perfecct!